Water Development Commission
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTRESET
(CONSULTING SERVICES-FIRMS SELECTION)
COUNTRY: Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia
NAME OF PROJECT: CR-WaSH
Assignment Title: Consultancy service for Feasibility Study and Detail Design, Tender Document preparation evaluation and Construction Supervision for Well Drilling of Climate Resilient Water Supply, Sanitation and Hygiene Facilities in SNNP Region, Burji and Konso Woredas( Burji and Konso Multi Village Water Supply Project.)
Reference No.: ET-WDC-202186-CS-OCBS
The Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia (FDRE) has received financing from the World Bank toward the cost of implementation of Water Supply, Sanitation and Hygiene Project and intends to apply part of the proceeds for consulting service.
The consulting service intended duration is for 30 Weeks/210 Calendar Days
Objectives of the assignment
The overall objective of the assignment is to carry out community and institutional (schools and health institutions) Water Supply, Sanitation and Hygiene status assessment study in Burjiworeda (Burji Multi village Water Supply project) and in KonsoWoreda (Konso Multi village Water Supply project) of SNNP region and identify the kebeles seriously affected in this regard in consultation with the respective communities, woreda and region sector offices and Bureaus (Water, Health and Education). Based on the findings of the assessment report, undertake community and institutions water supply, sanitation and hygiene service facilities feasibility study for the selected kebeles/ villages/gots, institutions (health institutions, schools etc), manage the selection and supervision of works of qualified groundwater driller (if applicable) and prepare detail design based on the outcome of the feasibility study.
To achieve this objective, the Consultant carries out, at least the following main tasks but not limited,
- a) Carryout out rapid assessment of community and institutions (health institutions, schoolsetc) water supply, sanitation and hygiene status of the Woreda (s). Conduct socio-economic assessment of the woreda including population, economy, social and environmental conditions include collection and organization of woreda baseline information.
- b) Prepare inception and pre-feasibility reports and submit to WDC and relevant regional bureaus for review and approval with the following information: (i)identify Kebele(s)/Village(s)/Got(s) most prone to shortage of community and institutional water supply, sanitation and hygiene service problems in the woreda; (ii) set intervention priorities in consultation with the beneficiary communities, woreda administration and the woreda sector offices (water, health and education); (iii) provide proposals of how strategically the WaSH problem of the woreda will be thoroughly solved in short, medium and long term periods based on the availability of finance and recommend the communities and institutions (health institutions, schools, etc.) to be included in the feasibility study of this sub-project.
- c) Undertake Climate Resilient (CR) feasibility study (technical, financial, economic, social and environmental) of water supply, sanitation and hygiene facility options giving due focus for climate resilience for the communities of identified Kebele (s)/ Village(s)/Got(s), health institutions, schools, etc for the short and medium term plan and produce feasibility report with the option recommended for detail design (among the options investigated for feasibility) to the respective region and the WDC for approval to carry out detail design. Conduct Assessment and put recommended ion of feasible alternative renewable energy sources (solar/wind/etc) for water supply schemes as appropriate. The feasibility study shall also include recommendations for sustainable water sources.
- d) Prepare, supervise and manage water source development on behalf of the WDC. If the confirmed source is groundwater, prepare and supervise drilling operation based on submission of separate time-based and provisional sum agreement to be reviewed and approved by the Client
- e) Carryout detail design of the approved feasible water supply system, sanitation and hygiene facilities for communities, health institutions, schools, etc in its entirety as per accepted engineering design practices and produce study and design report to the respective region and the WDC.
- f) Conduct social and environmental risk assessment study as per the feasibility study,
- g) Prepare implementation plan and bid documents for civil works of proposed Investments (for water supply and sanitation interventions) and includes costed mitigation measures for identified environmental impacts (e.g. catchment management not, source protection, etc),
- h) Prepare scheme management organizational structure, staffing, and recommendation on the management of the scheme as per the sector’s established guidelines for WASHCOMs and new rural utilities approach that is formally adopted by WDC and taking into consideration any considerations for community.
- i) Prepare strategic development business plan for the design period of the scheme, prepare operation and maintenance management plan including proposal for an affordable water tariff that will enable cost recovery
- j) Prepare water safety plan and watershed management report and include costs for implementation in tendering documents for proposed civil works
- k) Identify potential challenges for long-term sustainability and frame coping mechanisms. Conduct supervision of drilling operation as required if the source is groundwater based on submission of separate time-based agreement with the client
Prepare watershed management report
Scope of Services
The scope of the assignment includes;
a) The consultant is expected to use/refersector policy and development strategy documents to be well acquainted and align with the sectors requirement in fulfilling the assignment.
b) The consultant is expected to review CWA program documents including program operations manual Project Procurement Strategy for Development (PPSD), financial manual, safeguard instruments etc..
c) The consultant is expected to use primary and secondary data to carryout reconnaissance study to be incorporated in the prefeasibility report for water supply, sanitation and hygiene status study to identify Kebeles/Villages/Gots, health institutions, schools, etc mostprone to the water supply problem.
d) The consultant should carry out consultation with the woreda administration, Woreda and Regional water sectors take holders on the water supply, sanitation and hygiene output of the reconnaissance study and agree on the Kebeles/Villages/Gots, health institutions, schools, etc for which feasibility study needs to be done. The consultations must include engagement with community members including, elders, women, people with disability, female-headed households.
e) The feasibility study is expected to include among others available climate resilient water source options demonstrating with multi-criteria decision making (MCDM) technique to assess the technical financial, environmental O&M management viability of the proposed alternatives.
f) The consultant is expected to carry out geological, hydro-geological, hydrological, water quality, geotechnical investigation and geophysical investigation of the potential and quality water sources (groundwater, surface water, spring potential for water harvesting (e.g.,haffirs, birkas, sub-surface storage (sand-dams), etc.) of the area and determine the location of the in take site, borehole drilling site, surface water intake site, spring, site for water harvesting or managed recharge etc., the expected safeyield of the source and respective costs.
g) Conduct financial and economic cost benefit analysis to ensure that the projectis financially sustainable and economically viable. This requires identification and estimation of revenue generated from service charge, annual operational cost required to run the scheme, periodic maintenance and asset replacement costas well as estimation of the positive and negative externalities of the project.
h) Based on the most technically, socially, economically and environmentally feasible and sustainable option, the consultant will undertake detail technical assessment including but not limited to hydrological survey and ortopological profiling and other aspects as applicable and consultant on its discretion should deploy and use cutting edge technologies like GIS, remote sensing from high resolution platforms and robust techniques have to be deployed for further investigation of resilient water sources and have to be validated & justified with possible ground truthing.
i) The consultant is expected to carry out detail design of the feasible option including the technical design (analytical report, technical drawings, incorporate standard design to facilitate ground water monitoring pipe layout with pressure zoning, site plan, specifications, Bill of quantities, engineering cost estimate, Tender document etc), environmental studies, annual operational cost estimates, the water tariff for cost recovery and its affordability with the willingness to pay, the project implementation plan, business plan, water safety plan and the bid document as well as social including gender related risk assessment.
j) If applicable, based on approved feasibility study by the Client, the consultant is expected, supervise and contract administer boreholedrilling which includes:
- Preparebidding documents
- Approval and monitor site handover, the contractor’s initial and periodic mobilization programs;
- Supervision the overall drilling work
- Carry out periodic safety inspections of over all components of the drilling
- Issue to the Employer weekly, monthly and as required report and well completion report and financial reports in approval format and check and submit for approval of payment to the client requested by the contractor as per the actual material supplied and work executed.
- Review anysitetesting procedures and supervise actual acceptance tests on site carried out by the contractor;
- Closely follow up and administer all contractual matter including up dated schedule of the drilling and construction method of drilling and construction;
- Review Contractor’s claims and advices what amount, if any, the Engineer
- considers due, provide written reports and advice on individual claims, provide written advice on any claims negotiations and support as requested after getting approval from the WDC.
- Provide written reports, advice and support as requested in any preparation and procedures for the Dispute Adjudication Board(DAB);
- The Consultant shall carry out witnessing, testing and administrative duties.
- Facilitates handover of the projects, check and approve “as-built” drawings prepared by the contractor ensuring the delivered site is in accordance with approved feasibility study and contractual agreement.
- Check all manufactures’ manuals and contractors ‘operating instructions and make recommendations asto their scope, completeness and conformity with plant as installed including provision for installation of ground water monitoringe equipment
k) Basedon the gapidentified in the assessment report of water supply, sanitation and hygiene status of schools and health institutions located within the community water Supply service area of the project, the consultant is expected to ensure that the study and design report included all WaSH service packages to the institutions, i.e. for schools water supply and latrines and for health institutions water supply, latrine, placentap its, incinerators, etc as per the health and education sectors design standards and WaSH packages for the same.
1) Water demand computation has to take in to account (i) for household water demand population projections and dynamics, standard service level sasper GTPII/SDG6 and potential for business development in the area and, (ii) for institution (health institution, schools, etc) has to take in to account the prevailing sector standards of the Ministry of Education, Ministry of health and others.
m) Livestock watering has to be considered if there is no alternative source with inreasonable distance in the area and all possible options have to be thought for optimal system design) The consultant is required to respond to any design queries after completion and submission of the design report and be accountable for any modification of design defect satits full discretion & absorbing all expense consequences.
O) Review the monitoring and reporting mechanism and the available grievance redress mechanism
The Water Development Commission (WDC) now invites eligible consulting firms (“Consultants”) to indicate their interest in providing the services. Interested Consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experiences to perform the Services.
The short listing criteria are:- Core business and years in business, qualification and experience in the field of assignment, organizational and managerial capabilities of the firm
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 3.14 of the World Bank’s Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers July 2016, Revised November 2017 and August 2018, setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest. In addition, please refer to the following specific information on conflict of interest related to this assignment 3.14- 3.17 of the Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers.
Consultants may associate with other firms in the form of a joint venture or a sub consultancy to enhance their qualifications.
A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Quality and Cost Based Selection (QCBS) method set out in the Consultant Guidelines.
Further information can be obtained at the address below during office hours 8:00 AM to 12:00 AM in the morning and from 1:30PM to 3:00PM in the afternoon.
Expressions of interest must be delivered in a written form to the address below in person, or by mail, or by e-mail (PDF Format) by 19, February, 2021 on or before 4:00 PM.
Water Development Commission
Attn: Mr. Nuredin Mohammed, Engineering Procurement & Contract Administration
Postal address: 13/1076
Street address: Haile Gebresilasie Street/On the Road from Urael to Megenegna next to
Ministry of Water, Irrigation & Energy Building, Floor Number 01, Room number 35
City: Addis Ababa, Country: Ethiopia
Country: Ethiopia, Addis Ababa.