The United Nations World Food Programme (UNWFP)
Expression of Interest in expanding the supplier roster
The World Food Programme (WFP) is actively looking for new Super Cereal Plus producers to be added to its supplier roster. WFP hereby Invites qualified producers in East Africa to express their interest.
Companies with experience in production of baby porridges, Instant flours, snack pellets, breakfast cereals or similar products are invited to contact WFP in case they are interested in supplying Super Cereal Plus products and working with WFP towards achieving the UN Sustainable Development Goal of Zero Hunger
Assisting almost 100 million people in around 83 countries each year, the World Food Programme is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience.
WFP procures food items to support the agency’s global fight against hunger, including Specialized Nutritious foods that improve the nutritional intake of the people we assist around the world. WEP experienced an unprecedentedly high demand for processed foods, especially related to instant cereal Mours for small children – labelled with name Super Cereal Plus.
WFP Regional Bureau In Nairobi (ABN) overseas operations in East Africa: Burundi, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Somalia, South Sudan and Sudan. The demand for Super Cereal Plus in East Africa now reaches more than 100,000 tons annually. WFP increasingly strive to purchase food in or near the locations where it will be consumed, and 80% of WFP’s food is sourced from developing countries. Therefore, WFP is seeking to expand its supplier base for the Super Cereal Plus products in East Africa.
Product details: Super Cereal plus (CSB+)
Super Cereal plus – Corn Soya Blend is a type of Fortified Blended Foods prepared from heat treated maize and de-hulled soya beans, sugar, dried skim milk, refined soya bean oil, vitamins and minerals. Super Cereal Plus is a product widely used in humanitarian aid as a food for young children aged 6 to 59 months. Super Cereal plus is consumed as a porridge similar to dry baby cereals/baby porridges/instant cereals found in the retail market. The expected shelf life of the product is 18 months.
Note that the requirement is CSB+ not CSB.
Usually, production is done by wet extrusion (single or double screw extruder). Drum/roller cooking and drying is also acceptable. The production process usually consists of following phases (example for the extrusion process):
- Milling of maize and de-hulling of soyabeans
- Extrusion and addition of oil
- Drying and milling of extrudate into powder
- Mixing of powder with dry skimmed milk powder, sugar, vitamins and minerals
- Packaging in primary packaging in metalized heat-sealed pouches with nitrogen flushing (1.5 kg)
- Packaging in secondary packaging (box, e.g. 10 individual packages per box),
WFP must ensure that the food it delivers is safe, nutritious and of good quality. All food purchased by WFP must comply with set requirements, or specifications. These align with international standards, national legislation and specific regulations in the countries of destination. The selection of suppliers, including sub-contracted food processors, is based on strict criteria and includes a preliminary paper assessment and a technical site assessment by WFP.
Frequent inspection of the production process, packaging and the premises, as well as product testing are conducted. Specifically, prospective responders must:
- be registered with the relevant authorities in their domicile countries and have a legal authorization to provide these services
- meet a precise set of minimum Food Safety and Quality technical requirements
- have a production facility complying with international hygiene standards, preferably holding an internationally recognized food safety and/quality certification eg F55C 22000
- offer product that meets Codes Alimentarus and WFP specified requirements
- provide evidence of compliance established through an initial compliance audit conducted by a WFP appointed independent third-party auditing company and WFP’s Food Safety and Quality Officers
- comply with regular inspection by WFP’s appointed third-party food inspection company required before acceptance of every procured commodity
- For more detailed information on processing, raw materials and finished product requirements, the specifications of the Super Cereal Plus can be found here: http://foodqualityandsafety.wfp.org/
Expression of Interest
WFP invites qualified responders to express their interest by emailing email@example.com subject: Expression of Interest Super Cereal Plus, until November 12th 2020, 17:00 hours (Nairobi time). The interested responders will receive a questionnaire for preliminary vendor qualification to be submitted until 19 November 2020, 17:00 Hours (Nairobi time). All requests for clarifications and questions strictly relating to this invitation only should be sent via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that this is not an invitation to tender rate are not required at this stage, and this invitation does not bind the word food programme to issue any tenders or contracts to the companies expressing their interest.
WFP DOES NOT CHARGE ANY FEES FOR REGISTRATION FORMS