Water Development commission
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
(CONSULTING SERVICES. FIRMS SELECTION)
FEDERAL DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF ETHIOPIASECOND URBAN WATER SUPPLY AND SANITATION PROJECT (2nd UWSSP)Credit No. IDA-60070
- Assignment Title: Consultancy Service for of Environmental and Social impact assessment (ESIA)consultancy for Harar, Adigrat, Gambella Sacra Logia and, Assosa
Reference No. ET-MOWIE-146024-CS-QBS
The Government of Ethiopia has received financing from the World Bank toward the cost of the Second Urban Water Supply and Sanitation Project (2-UWSSP) and intends to apply part of the proceeds for consulting services. The consulting services (“the Services”) include Selection and Employment of Environmental & Social Impact Assessment for Harar, Adigrat, Gambella, Semera-Logia and, Assosa.
OBJECTIVE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The overall objective of the service prepare and present to the client an Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) study/studies including all necessary additional documentation that may be required to satisfy specific World Bank safeguard policies.
- Identification and analysis of the national and the World Bank environmental safeguard policies and regulations that will be triggered by the subproject activities at any development phase of the subproject and these shall include but not limited to the project ESMF, GAP, World Bank’s Gender Strategy, and GBV requirements; Describe the views and concern of the public and stakeholders towards the implementation of the subproject;
- Establish baseline features of the biophysical, socioeconomic and cultural attributes in the subproject influence area;
- Identification and evaluation of significant impacts (both beneficial and adverse) due to the subproject implementation that requires appropriate mitigation measures;
- Propose specific mitigation for inclusion in the subproject detail design and management plan to reduce or avoid significant adverse environmental and social impact including gender and potential GBV risks
- Assessment and identification of capacity gap and propose training and capacity building requirements for the implementation of environmental mitigation and
- Cost estimate for each proposed mitigation measure and monitoring program;
SCOPE OF THE WORK
The ESIA consultant is supposed to be a qualified and licensed consultant firm that will prepare separate full ESIA reports to the five sub-projects (Harar, Adigrat, Gambella, Semera-Logia, and Assosa towns) under the UWSSP II with standalone environmental and social management plan and environmental and social monitoring plan. To achieve the mentioned objectives the consultant/s will carry out the following tasks:
- Task 1: Description of the Proposed Sub-Project
- Task 2: Review of the regulatory and policy considerations
- Task 3: Public Participation and Consultations
- Task 4: Baseline conditions
- Task 5: Impact identification characterization and evaluation
- Task 6: Setting of alternatives/options for comparison
- Task 7: Impacts mitigations and Management
- Total duration of the service is 150calendar Days.
The Water development commission now invites eligible consulting firms (“Consultants”) to indicate their interest in providing the Services, Interested Consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services. The short listing criteria are: Core businessand years in business, qualification, and experience in the field of assignment, organizational, managerial and technical capabilities of the firm, and general qualification and number of key staff but not individual experts’ bio data.
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits & Grants by Worid Bank Borrowers January 2011 Revised July 2014 (“Consultant Guidelines”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
Consultants may associate with other firms in the form of a joint venture or a sub consultancy to enhance their qualifications
A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the consultant’s qualification method set out in the Consultant Guidelines.
Further information can be obtained at the address below during office hours 9:00 am to 12:00 noon and 2:00 pm to 4:30 pm from Monday to Friday,
Expressions of interest must be delivered in a written form to the address below (in person, or by mail, or by fax, or by e-mail) on or before 19th November 2020, 2:00 pm.
Water Development CommissionAttn: Mr. Nuredin MohamedHaile Gebresilasie Avenu 1st floor, Room number 114
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia