General Wingate Polytechnic College
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
(CONSULTING SERVICES – FIRMS SELECTION)
GENERAL WINGATE POLYTECHNIC COLLEGE
NAME OF PROJECT: EAST AFRICA SKILLS FOR TRANSFORMATION AND REGIONAL INTEGRATION PROJECT (EASTRIP)
Credit No. 6335-ET and Grant No.: D395ET
Assignment Title: Consultancy for the labor market assessment of the Energy Sector
Reference No. : ET-ET WINGATE-206925-CS-CQS
The Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia has received a credit and fund financing from the World Bank towards the cost of the East Africa Skills for Transformation and Regional Integration Project (EASTRIP), and intends to apply part of the proceeds for consulting services.
One of the beneficiary TVETs among the others under this project is the General Wingate Polytechnic College which is located in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Hence, the General Wingate Polytechnic College on behalf of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia has planned to deploy a consulting firm to provide services for the labor market and business opportunities for a demand-driven TVET program.
Therefore, a comprehensive labor market survey will inform the basis for TVET interventions and facilitate understanding of important elements of the wider TVET system, from skill areas with market demand to the types of jobs and employment opportunities available. The survey will also assess potential TVET providers including GWPTC and other national training institutions to find out their capacity and capability to offer quality skills training and professional courses in Energy sector demanded in the market.
Therefore, GWPTC- EASTRIP intends to engage consulting firm and research institute with significant relevant experience and skills to undertake this assessment. The result of the survey is expected to become a basis for the development of relevant provision of market-demanded skills training.
2. Objectives of the study
- 2.1. To identify what type of jobs are available in the market that can be filled by GWPTC graduates, with a special focus on highly demanded skills.
- 2.2. To provide an authoritative overview of current labor market trends and snapshots of businesses’ opinions on training and strategic skill needs as well as an overall assessment of economic, social and technical drivers of market growth in Energy sectors.
- 2.3. To find out the relevance of skills training courses offered in Energy sector in GWPTC and other national training institutions compatible to market demand.
- 2.4. To make an assessment of immediate priority skills needed in Energy sector categorized into skill types and levels.
- 2.5. To assess the capacity of GWPTC and other national training institutions in relation to the provision of identified market-demanded courses in Energy sectors.
- 2.6. To provide a detailed assessment of the capacity of GWPTC to deliver accredited TVET program in the identified demand of the Energy sector.
- 2.7. Identification of other economically significant sectors where skills deficiencies in Energy sector might constrain future employment and economic growth.
3. Scope of Services
The consulting firm will:
- Find out the most employable skills training courses that can be offered in GWPTC. Find out skill gaps in the market; this should be classified into:
- a. Specific type of jobs available and locations.
- b. Level of skill required, including attention to aspects of gender and location
- Visit and hold discussions with employers to find out their attitude towards Provision of cooperative training, and identify ways to create stronger Linkages with TVET graduates
- Assess the capacity of TVET providers in Electrical and Digital Application to deliver quality market-driven skills training.
- Identify challenges faced by Electrical and digital Application graduates in getting employment, especially females, and provide relevant recommendations and ways of creating decent work for females.
- Advice on innovative trades in Electrical and digital Application that are in demand for self-employment of the graduates.
The duration of the assignment will be 60 days including travel days.
The detailed Terms of Reference (TOR) for the assignment can be obtained at the address given below.
General Wingate Polytechnic College, East Africa Skills for Transformation and Regional Integration Project (EASTRIP), New building, 1st floor, Addis Ababa
The General Wingate Polytechnic College, now invites eligible consulting firm (“Consultant”) to indicate their interest in providing the Services. Interested Consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services.
The short listing criteria are:
The consulting firm is expected to fulfill the following requirements:
✓ The consulting firm should have a strong track record minimum of 10 years relevant professional experience in research and labor market studies. Strong background and experience in data collection and analysis. The consulting firm is expected to have at least five professional experts who have technical expertise in assessing issues of labor. market demand and supply in Ethiopia, and the ability to draw strong and valid conclusions
The educational qualification of the proposed team of consultant is preferred to be a combination of Postgraduate degree and above in Social Sciences, Business, Economics, Statistics, Education Electrical and digital applications or related field and should have a comprehensive understanding of the nature of Electrical and digital application sector in Ethiopia and the Ethiopian TVET system
Team composition: The consulting firm is expected to have a good mix a minimum of five professionals having the following qualification and work experience:
- Team leader should have MSC/MA in statistics / economist/ Education/ Business/ Social Science/Electrical & digital application with minimum 10 years’ work experience in labor market studies and Business research or related assessments.
- Statistician: should have MSC in statistics with minimum 8 (eight) years’ work experience in data collection and analysis in a research firm.
- Electrical engineer : should have MSC in electrical engineering and digital application with 8 (eight) year’s work experience in electrical and digital sector.
- Education specialist : should have MA in education with minimum 8 (eight) year’s work experience in the TVET sector.
- Human Resource Development Expert: should have MA in Human Resource Management or Management /labor economics with minimum 8 (eight) years’ work experience in man power development.
3.1. Specific Experience of professionals of the consulting firm
- Team leader will have at least 10 years of experience in working with international organizations and donors as well as demonstrable experience in leading Market Demand assessment programs;
- Both the team leader and key experts are required to have previous experience in conducting at least three market demand assessments ideally in the relevant TVET field
- Team members are expected to have strong analytical skills, a demonstrated ability to conduct interviews with stakeholders, analysis, clearly synthesize and present findings, draw practical conclusions, make recommendations and to prepare well-written reports in a timely manner;
Team members are expected to have Good understanding of TVET sectors and their operation
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to Section III, paragraphs, 3.14, 3.16, and 3.17 of the World Bank’s “Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers” July 2016 and Revised November 2017 (“Procurement Regulations”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest
A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Selection based on consultants qualification method set out in the Procurement Regulations.
Further information can be obtained at the address below during office hours 8:30AM to 5:00 PM .
Expressions of interest must be delivered in a written form to the address below (in person, or by mail, or by e-mail) by December 28, 2020 on or before 4:00 PM
General Wingate Polytechnic College
EASTRIP Project Office, New Block, 1st floor;
Attn: Ato Jemal Hassen, Project Coordinator;
P.O BOX: 1188 Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Mobile: +251 912042025
Tel: +251 11 2799324/+251112799187
Fax: 0112800100 Addis Ababa, Ethiopia