Ministry of Transport
THE FEDERAL DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF ETHIOPIA
MINISTRY OF TRANSPORT
The Expressway Development Support Project
Component 3 road satety and institutional Development
Supports the, transport Sector
Expression of Interest Local Expert Qualified in National Laws and Regulations for
Supporting the Implementation of the Railway Safety & Regulatory Department (Individual Consultant)
Transport sector policy definition and oversight in Ethiopia is the responsibility of the Ministry of Transport (MOT). The Government of Ethiopia (GoE), recognizing that the size and quality of the road network is a major constraint to economic growth and poverty reduction, has formulated a rolling Road Sector Development Program (RSDP) in partnership with development partners including the World Bank (WB), African Development Bank (AfDB), the European Union (EU), etc.
In addition to the rapid expansion and improvement of the road network, the sector has to overcome major challenges, including enhancing the GoE’s Road Safety strategy, constructing high capacity roads to improve safety and reduce congestion; and improving institutional efficiency to ensure the delivery of projects within planned cost and time, and with acceptable levels of site safety.
The Expressway Development Support Project will support the Government’s Road Sector Development Program by introducing effective strategies for managing high capacity roads, and builds on the successes of the Bank’s support over many years to the road sector in Ethiopia, As part of the Project, Component 3 focuses on supporting the implementation of the Road Safety and strengthening the policy-making, planning and monitoring functions of MOT. Under MOT, a project implementation unit (PIU) established to carry out the procurement and financial management activities of Component 3 of the Project. Under Federal Transport Agency, TRANSIP (Transport System Improvement Project) established to carry out the transport improvement
The Government of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia has applied for a credit from the International Development Association (IDA) towards the cost of execution of the Expressway Development Support Project and intends to apply part of the proceeds of the credit to the Ministry of Transport to eligible payments for Component 3 of the Project, and for the successful implementation of Component 3 of the project, the PIU will recruit a Monitoring and Evaluation.
2. Project Development Objectives (PDO)
The objectives of the project is to enhance efficiency and safety in the movement of goods and people along the ZEWAY-Arisi Negele part of the Modjo Hawassa development corridor. While strengthening the recipient’s institutional capacity to develop and manage expressways development and management of institutional capacity
3. Objective of the assignment
The objective of this assignment is:
- To support the Ministry of Transport to prepare Railway safety & regulation laws, manuals, and other related documents, on the basis of the deliverables presented by the Railway Safety Individual Consultant
- To translate in to Amharic texts of laws and regulations drafted in the English language, in order to achieve the needed linguistic accuracy,
4. Scope of work
The scope of the service shall include all the activities necessary to achieve the objectives described in Section 2 above.
The local expert qualified in national laws and regulations shall carry out but not limited to the following tasks:
- I. Understand the mandate given to the Railway Safety and Regulatory Body by reviewing the Railway Transport Administration Proclamation No. 1048/2017 of Ethiopia and interviewing the Railway Safety Individual consultant and the competent Bureau Head of MOT.
- II Draft in English and translate into Amharic all necessary directives, regulations and procedures to be adopted by the Railway Safety and Regulatory Body/Department which are required to perform its mandate, on the basis of the deliverables presented by the Railway Safety Individual Consultant,
- III.Draft in English and translate to Amharic all necessary internal procedures to be adopted by the different Divisions to make them operative, on the basis of the deliverables presented by the Railway Safety Individual Consultant;
- Iv. Share and verify with PIU, Railway infrastructure, transport and safety regulatory directorate and collaborators the ongoing activities and deliverable drafts,
5. Required Qualification and Experience
Qualifications and Skills
- Minimum of LLB, LLM or PHD in law and years of experiences 10/8/6 years respectively
- Written and spoken proficiency in English and Amharic language,
- General Professional Experience
- 10/8/6 years of overall experience out of which 2 years of proven experience in law drafting according to the Ethiopian legislation.
- To have served as Official in a National Railway Organization or in any FDREMinistry with law drafting experience, is a preference element;
- Knowledge of the railway sector issues in Ethiopia is an advantage
6. Mode of Payment
Payment shall be effect based deliverables.
7. Interested applicants are invited to send their applications with non-returnable CV and copies of relevant documents though the address below.
8. Terms & Conditions of Contract:
- Start date: Immediate availability is essential
- Remuneration: Financial proposal and experiences -depending on experience, skill and salary history of the candidate.
- Location: Based in Addis Ababa with very few travel to regions and cities.
10. Application deadline
- Applicants may request further information from the address below during office hours: 8:30a.m-12:00am and 1.30p.m – 5:00p.m from Monday to Thursday, and 8:30a.m. -11:30a.m and1:30p.m-5:00p.m on Friday.
- Applications must be delivered to the address below not later than October 30, 2020; 5:00P.M.
Ministry of Transport
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org , for any clarification you can contact by the telephone number Tel:-251-912 16 11 48 , only in working hours
Physical Address: Human Resources Directorate, 4th Floor, Room No…… Opposite to National Post Office, P.O. Box: 1238, Churchill Street, Addis