Industrial Parks Development Corporation (IPDC)
INDUSTRIAL PARK DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION
THE COMPETITIVENESS AND JOB CREATION PROJECT(IPDC-CJCP)
2ND ROUND CALL FOR APPLICATION FOR TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE
1. Background The Competitiveness and Job Creation project (CJCP) is the project of the Ethiopian Government, financed by the World Bank. The project contributes to job creation by attracting investment and improves competitiveness of the targeted industrial parks and their linked domestic enterprises. The CJC Project has four components: (a) Component 1: Institutional and regulatory framework and capacity building (b) Component 2: Support for industrial infrastructure (c) Component 3: Enhancing IP linkages to the local economy (d) Component 4: Project Management and Monitoring and Evaluation. The Technical Assistance provision aims to increase economic spillovers from the IPs through transfer of knowledge. The main aim of the TA provision is also to strengthen the capacity and capabilities of the local SMEs to supply quality products/services to firms operating in Bole Lemi-I IP & other IPs in Ethiopia. The TA program will support (i) Training for SMEs at Management, Supervisory & Operator levels; (ii) Assist meeting compliance requirements (Social/Environmental) and firm Nomination; (iii) Enhancing productivity, system development and certifications; (iv) Supporting SME marketing capabilities and strengthening B2B linkages with IPs. In the short to medium term, the Technical Assistance support is expected to increase local sourcing of products/services from SMEs to FDI firms in IPs. The program aims to support at least 35 SMEs with Technical Assistance provision, of which at least 25 TA beneficiaries SMEs with linkage support to sales their products/services to firms in Industrial Parks by June 2021 (of which 50% women owned SMEs).
Technical Assistance Intervention: The proposed TA intervention aligned with the project objective and mandate will focus on the following major activities based on the specified needs;
- Technical Assistance to selected SMEs in preparation of Technical Assistance Plans, strengthening SME marketing capacity, enhancing B2B linkages of SMEs with FDI firms in IPs, and identifying and facilitating exposure visit to learn on how to enhance B2B market linkages.
- Provide Training for SMEs at Management, Supervisor and operator level and TA for Enhancing SMEs Productivity and System Development.
- Compliance requirements based on Social/Environmental international standards; Firm Nomination; and certification.
- Hiring individual consultants/experts for selected SMEs Management of TA Provision: Management of TA provision is headed by a linkage Fund Manager and supported by TA linkage team who will report to Project Coordinator-IPDC-CJCP and the Technical Assistance Steering Committee (TASC) which oversees the implementation and performance of the Technical Assistance Provision.
Type of Support to Firms: Upon selection, TA Service provider firm shall prepare a Technical Assistance Plan (TAP), which is intended to help enhance their capacity to establish business linkages with buyer firms within the Bole Lemi Industrial Park. If selected for support, SMEs will receive Technical Assistance support through selected service providers for implementation of their Technical Assistance Plan. SMEs will be assisted for the preparation of their TAP by the service provider firm.
2. Call for Technical Assistance Application and Submission of Eligibility Questionnaire
The IPDC AJC-PIU invites eligible SMEs to submit application of Technical Assistance (Submission of filled Eligibility Questionnaire).
Technical Assistance beneficiaries: Technical Assistance will be provided to both eligible manufacturing and service sector SMEs with priority to women owned SMEs who have linkages or can show potential for linkages with FDI firms in IPs.
Eligibility Criteria: For the Technical Assistance, a SME must meet the following criteria.
i. An Ethiopian established and registered business owned by either Ethiopian National or Diaspora owned or a JV with foreigner
ii. Must have already running business
iii. Must have business license to operate business in Ethiopia issued by Government;
iv. Must be having a running bank account in firm name and preferably having audited financial statements for last 3 years;
v. Fulfilling criteria to be categorized under Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs)
vi. Having tax clearance certificate from the Government
vii. Availability of machinery and equipment to produce specific products/service required by FDI firms in IPs
viji. SMEs must have linkages or proven potential with IP firms
ix. SMEs with products such as Carton Box, Poly bag, Buttons, needles, paper stickers, non-woven levels, papers, finished leather, fabrics and other ancillary products required by FDI firms are eligible for support
X. SME service providers such as security, cafeteria, HR firm, Audit firm etc. which are already working with FDI firms are eligible for such support.
3. Screening and Selection Process for TA Provision Recipients
In order to qualify to receive a Technical Assistance, applicant SMEs will go through different stages of screening process set out according to the Technical Assistance operational manual.
4. How and Where to Submit Proposals
Interested firms meeting the above criteria should complete a Questionnaire that can be downloaded from www.ipdc.gov.et or hard copies can be picked from the IPDC-CJC project office at the address below.
The filled Questionnaires with the listed attachments prescribed in the questionnaire shall be submitted to:
Ato Tesema Geda, Project Coordinator
Industrial Parks Development Corporation (IPDC), CJCP, 3rd floor Room No.307
Bishangari Building, Comoros Street (Opposite to Kenyan Embassy),
P.O.Box 5723 Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Deadline: SMEs need to fill the Eligibility Questionnaire which must be submitted by 5.00 PM on or before 20th July 2020
For further information, please contact; Ato Ewnetu Wodaje,: Tel. 011
or Ato G/Hiwot G/Tatyos, Tel. 011 6678780,
NB: Women owned SMEs will be given priority and are highly encouraged to apply