Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit
Tender for data management and sourcing system consultant
GIZ Consultancy Announcement
Bid Reference Number 83355842
The STA (Strategic Alliance) “Building an Avocado and Sesame Value Chain in Ethiopia” project is a public-private partnership project that is jointly implemented by Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit GmbH (GIZ) and the Dutch company Tradin Organic, a pioneer in organic food trade. The objective of the project is to develop the sesame and avocado value chain in Ethiopia following organic standards and quality. Implementation takes place in SNNPR (Sidama) and Tigray (Humera) with Tradin’s local sister companies Sunvado and Selet Hulling. STA works on five output levels and seeks to improve collecting and processing methods for avocado and sesame and income of farmers, facilitate organic and social certification, and establish a local infrastructure for oil production. An ICT tool has been recently introduced to make the ICS more efficient. Currently the STA project seeks to hire an expert to inventarise and classify avocado trees in the Sidama region and to facilitate data collection with, and monitor and evaluate the use of an ICT based farm management tool in the project.
Duration of assignment and working conditions
This is a part-time job (at least 2,5 working days per week) and contract will be from June 2020 to April 30, 2021
Level of effort and Location
The position will be based at Tradin’s local sister company Sunvado in Hawassa and includes travels.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
1. Cataloging / classifying avocado trees with high oil content and design an optimal sourcing system
- Set up research to classify different avocado varieties according to their characteristics and seasonality
- Devise a system to identify and mark all avocado trees according to their characteristics, with special attention to oil contents
- After identifying the first 500 – 1,000 trees, set up a trial production at Sunvado’s factory to verify if the selected trees lead to a higher yield in oil production.
- Based on the information collected, set up an optimal sourcing system
- Prepare a manual and train at least 200 farmers and nursery staff how to identify high-oil-yielding avocado varieties or how to improve yields
2. Facilitate data collection with, and monitor and evaluate the use of an ICT based farm management tool
- Lead all ICT farm management tool related communication with Tradin Amsterdam and the ICT farm management tool provider and derive reports for the STA partners
- Travel to the respective field locations for training, maintenance, follow up etc when necessary
- Clean up and organizing the existing data to fit the ICT farm management tool
- Provide refresher trainings to STA extension staff
- Deliver initial training to STA extension staff on how to use Farm force for their work in Farmer Business Schools (FBS) and Farmer Field Schools (FFS)
- Continuously supervise and maintain the systems
- Set up and maintain buying records per farmer
- Facilitate the data entry and analysis of activity 1) ‘cataloging/ classifying avocado trees with high oil content into the farm management tool
Interested bidders who fulfill the following criteria can obtain the bid document via email starting from Monday, 25th of May 2020, 8:30am on working hours using the email address firstname.lastname@example.org
Bsc or Msc degree in sustainable organic agriculture and agroecology or related field Efficiency in English Minimum of 2 years’ experience in consulting and/or project implementation in agricultural value chains, experience in agricultural field research and data management Experience in building and implementing agricultural sourcing systems. Familiar with market-led value chain development Experiencein preparation and provision of trainings and team development. Able to provide guidance and support to a team Regional experience: Ethiopia or similar context Ability to effectively collect, report and share information and structured approach and style on implementing operational processes. Excellent computer skills in Excel or other similar systems for data management Solution-oriented, self-starter, quality-focused, socio cultural competence, and efficient, partner- and client-focused working methods
All bids must be delivered/submitted physically to the address below at or before 4:00pm local time on Friday, 5th of June 2020.
Bidders should submit their Technical and Financial Proposals as per the issued tenderdocument.
GIZ – STA-DPP Project reserves the right to cancel the bid fully or partially.
The address to submit your Technical and Financial Offers is:
German Development Cooperation
GIZ Office, Kirkos Sub City, Kebele 18 (Behind Intercontinental Hotel)
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia