Ethiopian National Association on Intellectual Disabilities (ENAID)
Federation of Ethiopian Associations Of Persons with Disabilities FEAPD
Call for applications to Develop the 2nd crpd report of Ethiopia
Ethiopia is a state party to the United Nations Convention on the rights of persons with disabilities (UNCRPD) since 2010. Pursuant to Article 35(1) of the UNCRPD, Ethiopia has thus a duty to make a comprehensive report on measures taken to give effect to its obligations under the UNCRPD and on the progress made in that regard, to the UNCRPD Committee, through the Secretary-General ofthe United Nations. On the other hand, the Ministry of labor and social affairs(MOLSA) is entrusted with the power to oversee the full implementation of the UNCRPD in Ethiopia by the ratifying proclamation No. 676/2010. To accomplish its responsibilities related to disability issues, MOLSA has also established a disability affairs directorate since late 2018.
Federation of Ethiopian associations of persons with disabilities (FEAPD) is anumbrella organization of persons with disabilities in Ethiopia. It was foundedin 1989 with the membership of only national associations of persons with disabilities. Currently, FEAPD has expanded its organizational structure and invites all associations of persons with disabilities both at national and regional levels for its membership. FEAPD assumes the responsibility of monitoring the full and effective implementation of the UNCRPD provisions pursuant to Article 33(3)of the UNCRPD. Hence, FEAPD is collaborating with the disability affairs directorate MOLSA in all disability coordination activities including the development of the UNCRPD report of Ethiopia to the UNCRPD Committee.
Ethiopia has provided its initial report to the UNCRPD Committee in 2014 and received concluding observations of the Committee in 2016 and the 2nd report was due by August 7, 2020, but, due to COVID-19, the task could not be achieved. Currently, therefore, MOLSA is committed to achieve the task by December 6, 2020, to submit the 2nd UNCRPD report of Ethiopia to the UNCRPD Committee.
2. Objectives of the assignment
The overall objective of the call is to develop the 2nd CRPD report of the Ethiopian government pursuant to Article 35(1) of the CRPD to be submitted to the CRPDCommittee through the Secretary-General of the United Nations. Under this general objective, the consultant(s) are expected to:
- Explore the concluding observations of the UNCRPD Committee upon the initial report of Ethiopia focusing on the recommendations forwarded to Ethiopia;
- Assess developments made by various ministries of the Ethiopian government and the regional states after the initial report of Ethiopiatowards the implementation of the UNCRPD provisions based on theCRPD Committee recommendations
- Identify major gaps and challenges that the Ethiopian government is facing to effectively implement the UNCRPD;
- Write the 2nd report of Ethiopia on the implementation of the UNCRPDprovisions and progress thus achieved.
3. Scope of work
The 2nd report of the Ethiopian government to the CRPD Committee shall ensure the obligation and show the commitment of Ethiopia towards the implementation of the CRPD provisions. Moreover, it shall indicate progress thus made by the Ethiopian government after the recommendations of the CRPD Committee to the initial report of Ethiopia. The 2nd report shall also be the foundation for the continued advocacy efforts of actors in the disability movement against the Ethiopian government to ensure the full and effective implementation of the COPD in Ethiopia.
As part of the deliverables, the consultant is expected to present the report on a workshop to be organized by MOLSA and FEAPD and validates the findings with the feedback thereof.
To prepare the 2nd CRPD report of Ethiopia, the consultant(s) is expected to propose a comprehensive and effective methodology that enables to produce of high-quality deliverables.
The consultant(s) will report to the disability affairs directorate of MOLSA copying to the FEAPD.
- Inception report
- Findings on the summary of the recommendations that were forwarded by the UNCRPD Committee in its 2016 concluding observations,
- Findings on the summary of reports made by various ministries andregional states.
- The 2nd CRPD report of Ethiopia.
- Presentation of the 2nd report of Ethiopia to the workshop.
7. Duration of Assignment
The development of the 2nd CRPD report of Ethiopia must be completed within45 days from the signing of the contract. The workshop will be organized after the submission of the 2nd CRPD report and will not count within the duration.
8. Working Location
The consultant/s will be expected to work from their convenient location. Nonetheless, the consultant(s) are expected to gather data from all bureaus of each regional state and from all ministries.
9. Job Requirements
- Minimum of a master’s degree or equivalent in international law and/or human rights or similar and relevant fields of study. Specialization on disability rights is an added advantage.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in disability rights, disability consultation, working with disability organizations, and similar activities.
- The applicant(s)are required to have developed at least one disability rights advocacy document.
- In-depth knowledge of disability rights and the CRPD provisions.Highly professional in researching, synthesizing, analyzing, and writing skills.
- Good command of written and spoken the English language
- Applicants that do not fulfill the above requirements need NOT apply
10. How to Apply
1. Application Information
a. General Information
- Technical proposals should be submitted in Microsoft Word format.
- Financial proposals must be submitted in Microsoft Excel document.
- The financial proposal should indicate all professional and admin costs in detail
- All required documents must be zipped in one folder before submission if attachments are larger than 10 MB, please upload to Google Drive and share the link in the application email
- The subject line of the application e-mail must be: “Application to develop 2nd CRPD report of Ethiopia”
b.Federation of Ethiopian Association of Persons with Disabilities(FEAD)has the right to:
- Contact any or all references supplied by the applicant(s);
- Request additional supporting or supplementary data (from the applicant(s);
- Arrange interviews with the applicant(s);
- Reject any or all proposals submitted;
- Accept any proposals in whole or in part;
- Negotiate with the service provider(s) who has/have attained the best rating/ranking, i.e. the one(s) providing the overall best value proposal(s);
- Contract any number of candidates as required to achieve the overall evaluation objectives
After the bid opening, each proposal will be assessed first on its compliance, technical quality and subsequently on its price. The proposal with the best overall value, composed of technical merit and price, will be considered for final approval. FEAPD uses its procurement committee to lead the overall process review and evaluate bids and make a decision based on the criteria listed.
d. Application Documents to be submitted
Interested applicants should submit:
- Application letter
- Technical Proposal in MS Word Format (in English)
- Resume or Company Profile
- Financial proposal with detailed cost breakdown (should be separate from the technical proposal and must be in Microsoft Excel)
- Quotes must be in US Dollars.
- One sample manual, toolkit, or guideline on disability rights advocacy. The sample must be developed and produced by the applicant and will be verified.
- Copy of highest educational qualification earned (degree/diploma)Any application that doesn’t include any one of the above requirements and does NOT adhere to the application information under paragraph 10 will be disqualified.
Individual(s), organizations, associations, or companies are eligible to apply forthis consultancy service.
III. Applications must be submitted to:
Applicants MUST submit their applications to the email address:firstname.lastname@example.org
IV. Application Deadline
All applications must be submitted by October 24, 2020-5:30 PM Ethiopian local time.
Please e-mail all requests for clarification to email@example.com before October 20, 2020 – 5:30 Ethiopian local time.