Ethiopian Communications Authority
Invitation for Submission of Expression of Interest(EOI)
For Telecommunications Service Licenses
Pursuant to its mandate under Communications service Proclamation No.1148/2019,the Ethiopia Communications Authority Invites:
- The submission of expressions of interest
- For two telecommunications service licenses in the federal democratic republic of Ethiopia
The Government of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia has laid out, in Communications Service Proclamation No. 1148/2019, the framework for the liberalization and development of the Ethiopian telecommunications sector by facilitating introduction of competition among local and international telecommunications operators.
The primary goals of the Government are to ensure reliable and accessible communications for all Ethiopians, leading to improvements in quality of life and in connectivity to support rapid economic transformation and growth, and to maximize the opportunity presented by the digital economy. Ethiopia is targeting highly capable and qualified telecommunications operators to become new license holders in this rapidly growing economy.
In support of this policy framework and objectives, the Ethiopia Communications Authority (ECA), as the regulator of the communications sector, intends to award two nationwide full-service telecommunications licenses.
Basic terms and conditions as currently contemplated will be as follows:
- The telecommunications service licenses will be the technology neutral;
- There will be a range of spectrum available across multiple frequency bands;
- The initial license term will be 15 or more years with the possibility of renewal;
- There will be a requirement to meet or exceed specified population and geographic coverage targets;
- There will also be a requirement to commit to reasonable tariffs, universal accessibility and tele-density targets;
- Both new and existing licensees will be expected to enter into infrastructure and facilities sharing arrangements in order to achieve rapid and cost efficient network deployment;
- The licenses will be awarded via à competitive evaluation process.
Therefore, in advance of the formal award process, the ECA invites telecommunications companies with proven experience with large scale network deployment, operation and service provisioning to register their interest to participate in the award process for the acquisition of the two new telecommunications service licenses in the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia. Expressions of Interest made in accordance with the guidelines presented herein must be submitted to the Ethiopian Communications Authority and the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia Ministry of Finance (FDRE MoF) no later than 12:00 p.m. East Africa Time (GMT+3), on June 21, 2020, electronically by email to the following two addresses: email@example.com and TelecomEol@mofed.gov.et , and a single printed copy via postal or courier service addressed to Ethiopian Communications Authority P.O. Box: 9991, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.. The electronic submission shall be made in PDF format, and the total size of all attachments to the submission e-mail shall not exceed 10MB. The electronic submission should bear a transmission date and timestamp from point of origin which is the equivalent of no later than 12:00 PM, East Africa Time (GMT+3), June 21, 2020. The attached form (Appendix A: Form for EOI submission for the company interested in the telecommunications service licenses) must be used for the purpose of submitting the EOI in accordance with the following conditions:
- The form must be completed in English;
- The form must be submitted in PDF format.
Receipt of the EOI will be formally acknowledged within two working days by email (using the contact email address requested in the Appendix A form). An appendix entitled ‘Appendix B: Briefing for Expression of Interest – The Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia Telecommunications Service Licenses’ is attached to better explain the market environment. The appendix covers an overview of the country, the current telecommunications market, the Communications service Proclamation and the regulatory framework to be implemented.
Interested parties who submit an Expression of Interest will be invited to participate in a virtual information session with the ECA, Ministry of Finance and their advisors.
Ethiopian Communications Authority
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia